Monday, July 25, 2011

Project: Bathroom Vanity Lighting

At the beginning of the summer we moved our little family from out of state, back to my hometown area.  My husband has just finished his masters degree and we are in the 'hunt for a good job' mode.  My brother has a rental home that just so conveniently happened to be available and......well.....here we are.  I just keep trying to tell myself "I have lots of projects to post on the blog about now!"  Haha - really I am grateful.  And, after all, one of the reasons my brother was so excited about me moving in is that I could "help" him fix it up. I think we both know there won't be much helping going on.  I'm just to impatient to wait for it!

There are some pretty major projects, the not-too-costly-just-time-consuming kind, that will probably be happening in the coming months.  You know, the back window someone decided to spray paint black (yes, the glass) a good decade or so ago thats all peeling off now, the green/silver/white spray paint down the stairs to the basement, the sad but huge yard......
*in my brother's defense, he's only owned the house about a year* 
Some days I feel like my mind is about to explode with all the ideas I have!!  So the other day I just had to do SOMETHING.  My first victim became the vanity lighting fixture :0)
 Seeing it every day was driving me a bit mad, and I decided to do something about it.  Don't sweat the taking it down, really, it was easier than rounding up the newspaper to paint it over!
 Washed and ready for a make-over!

 Because all of this is a learning process for many of us, I'm going to share my mistakes.  All of the hardware in the bathroom is wood (ie - the cheapest you can get).  The only other metal fixture (besides the faucet) is the shower curtain rod, so I wasn't too terribly worried about matching.  But I didn't want anything outrageous either.  I looted my dad's spray paint collection and there was one with a pretty shiny silver lid - just like my vanity looked...before the rust set in.  In my naiveté I thought that's how it would look when I used it.  So!
Lesson #1: Silver spray paint will make it look like a silver car - not a silver bathroom fixture :0)
So I settled for some brownish copper hammered look and it works!  New for $40-$90 or Better for $3.  In this situation the better worked beautifully!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I like. Spray paint is awesome!

Jana said...

Love the copper look! Very classy looking. :0) Good job Katie.