Friday, September 30, 2011

Project: 'If the Shoe Fits' Witch

The other day, I went blog surfing to find fun Halloween craft ideas. I came across a gal who made a pillow with 3 witches on the front and stitched above the characters were the words: "If the Shoe Fits" CUTE! I wanted to recreate the project without the sewing...here is what I came up with: 
I ran to Home Depot and grabbed a piece of wood from their scrap pile for 50 cents. :0) Then I pulled out my fabric scrap box and got some pieces while thinking to myself, 'What would a witch wear?" 
Then I cut and placed the fabric on the board starting from the boots and worked on up! 
For the skirt, even though I knew everything would be 'mod-podged' down, I still wanted a layered effect. So I cut multiple strips of fabric, and placed them where I wanted them. (That's why I love crafting without patterns...anything goes!) 
Then I painted, and sanded, and let the board dry...
Then I started gluing down the pieces of fabric with my trusty ol mod-podge. :0) *again starting from the boots up! 
Almost done... 
Wah-lah! After gluing was done, I slapped on a few coats of Polyurethane to give it a nice glossy look, and it helps harden everything together. :0) I just might have to find some cute vinyl lettering for her apron...we'll see. I am loving that this craft only cost me .50 though...
Now it will be nice and dry when I decorate tomorrow! Yeehaw!

2 comments:

Steve and Katie said...

I love it!! So creative.....we are having a party to decorate for halloween. My kids LOVE parties! But I don't have many decorations - I do, however have some scrap wood, fabric and paint :)

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

I love how got inspire from a pillow you saw. OK, I also love that it cost 50 cents. So cute! I am a new follower from Tatertots and Jello. Vicky @ www.messforless.net