Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Project: Distressing furniture

This is what my bar stool has looked like for the past 6 months. Something needed to be done...
I tried a black spray paint and I did not think that it was enough, I wanted more color.
Remember that most wood projects need to be sanded down, if there is a glossy surface, it needs to come off in order to make the paint stick.
So I decided on "summer squash" yellow :)



After spraypainting both chairs, I allowed 24 hours to dry.

I used this homemade distressing concoction of black and brown acrylic paint. I then added water to make it really drippy! Once I painted the drippy paint over one section, I smoothed and rubbed it around with paper towels. I had a wet rag on hand to smooth mistakes. Acrylic paint is fairly forgiving, but you still have to work fast!
Look at the difference in detail! So cool!


I still need to put a coat of poly on it, but I love how the yellow looks with my black countertops...

My next distressing project is my china cabinet. Be ready for a "Tropicana Cabana" surprise!

3 comments:

Jana and Brett said...

ooo! I love the yellow! And I'm about to go distressing right now! I'm thinking of all the things I can do. hahaha.

Melanie said...

Wow...I love how it turned out. Where do you get these creative ideas? I never would have thought of that. Awesome!

Just Jaime said...

Lovely redo!