Thursday, June 9, 2011

Project: DIY Shrug

I am absolutely in love with cardigans. And now that it is getting hotter, I am unwillingly putting them away in my winter clothes box. SO, when I came across this tutorial: Click on the Inspiring Projects tab at the top of the page, then on the DIY Shrug link. I was elated! I sifted through my closet and found this seafoam green top and an old (but new with the tags!) white shirt and set to work.
1. Cut straight up the middle of the shirt!
2. Start pinning! Leaving enough space for the ribbon or elastic to be pulled through. You will be pinning up one side around the neck and down the other side!
3. Sew! TIP: I trimmed my edges on the inside after I sewed so it wouldn't look so bulky.
4. Thread your ribbon or elastic through. TIP: My top picture is done with elastic. I cut the elastic after I measured it around my neck and cut where I wanted my shrug to hang. Then I sewed the bottom closed to make sure the elastic would not slip out.
You can sew the bottom with the ribbon too...but I like having the option of sinching the shrug with whatever my mood or outfit is that day! 
Your supplies: Ribbon (or elastic), shirt from Wal*Mart! Four bucks! Can't beat that! And of course a sewing machine. :0)
The White Shrug with ribbon. These look very cute over those long jersey dresses too! Thanks for the idea! I'll probably be making these all summer. :0)

2 comments:

John and Jessica Tilton said...

So Cute! I want one! Although - I don't know if I'd trust myself to do it! ha ha! Hey Jana - could I get in on your private blog? Miss keeping up with your family!

KatrinaMarie said...

I am totally in love with this! I MUST add it to my list of sewing projects. Haha - that thing just keeps getting longer :)