Friday, September 9, 2011

Project: New Dresser for the Girl...

There has been a shift at my house! We found out we are having a BOY! We are so excited, but things are already shifting to make room for this one. Like...the Changing Table was being used as my son's dresser, and that was recently moved into our nursery. (It's almost done! I'm excited for you to see it.) And since this baby is a boy, my second born and him will be sharing a room in the future. So they get the bunk beds and the dresser that matches it...which was in my little girls room. After all the shifting was done, my little girl was out a dresser....Can you guess what happened next?!?...Goodwill was calling my name!....
I found this beauty...well it isn't really beautiful, yet. But it's workable. My cute husband really didn't want to buy it because he didn't like the colors...Isn't he funny? He should have known I was planning on painting any dresser I found.
So pictured above is the Before picture of the dresser. The paint splatters were a PAIN to sand down. If you look really close at the finished project there are still some bumps...but it'll do. :0) It was fast and easy to paint because I had two wonderful helpers.
(*Pregnant peeps! Please be sure to paint in a ventihilated area WITH a mask.*)
Beautiful white. Love it!
I had to run to JoAnn's to grab a few things (they are having a great sale on all the Fall floral!) I found these in a pack of 7 in the scrapbooking section for a dollar. I thought they were stickers and tried for a little bit this morning to peel off the backs of these babies...haha they are something called Chipboard...they are not stickers. But, no need to fear!...
...Mod Podge is here!!! :0) Love this stuff. Apply to the area, then apply on the back of the chipboard and stick. I also smoothed some 'Podge' around the edges to make sure it was super sealed.
Not dry yet, but I love how it looks in her pink bedroom! A nice clean 'new' dresser for my girl.
Happy Painting everyone!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

That turned out REALLY cute. I tried to spray paint the boys dresser last year and it ended up looking pretty lame (yeah...not so good with the spray paint). How do I fix it? Would I have to sand it down and start over?

Steve and Katie said...

Awesome! I've been DYING from lack of good buys at Goodwill of late. So glad you found something so cute! My girls cherrywood dresser used to be white with teal splatters. Talk about some thick paint! You can get stripper type stuff that makes it much easier to get off. Can't wait to see the nursery!!