Thursday, November 10, 2011

Project: Accent Pillows

 So I told you I'm working on my bed.  I finished it today!!  And I'm in love with my headboard now :0)
For the small pillows I just made a quick envelope case.  SUPER easy and removable.  With 4 kids I like that!  You can find a tutorial here.
 For the big pillows I made just a regular pillow case.  I used a different material on the front and back so they are reversible!  Mostly it was because I was piecing together fabric, but shhhhh....don't tell :)  I was going to tie the ends together with ribbon - which I still think would be super cute - but I decided it wasn't necessary.  I love them the way they are!

I knew the dimensions of my pillow so I just added 1 inch to the height (short measurement) and about 3 to the width (long side) and cut a rectangle.  I hemmed the two sides that would be open - just a regular 5/8" hem.  Then put I right sides together and sewed the other three sides!  I didn't want a cuff or anything as I was going to do the ribbon thing - but like I said....I never got that far.
 Sorry about the horrible lighting.  My room has no overhead lighting and we are facing some pretty gloomy days of late.  The white one is furry fleece (left over polar bear costume)  The black one has fabric flowers all over it (an old pair of dress pants) and the zebra one has a little sequin embellishing.....okay so I bought that....

Wanna see?!

 Ta-dah!!  

Yay!  I am very pleased with it.  I ran onto the comforter set on clearance at Meijer.  I weighed my options and decided that it cost about $250 less than my dream (one day I will have a down comforter and duvet!!) and only about $10 more than my frugal idea.  So I went with the less sewing option and it turned out great.
 And I've decided to leave the headboard the way it is :0)
So, I'm not a spokesperson for Ikea by any means, but really.  I can't imagine my craft room without these Expedit shelves!  If you look you'll see that I have them on either side of my bed.....every inch of them is full of fabric, paper, embellishments, tools, etc.  They are the PERFECT size for 12x12 paper and books.  And the bins are great for folded fabric and silk flowers and all that jazz.

Notice I didn't show you the other side of the room.....I promise its coming....

Photobucket

No comments: