Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Project: Master Bedroom Makeover....Part 1

We have moved into this great rental town home that we just love.  One thing I kinda love and kinda hate is that there isn't a single white wall in it!!  

Well the master bedroom is blue.  Luckily its a pretty blue.

I am the kind of person that needs my bedroom to be a relaxing place.  For me that means organized and clean.  My bedroom is NOT the catch all place like so many parents I know.....thats my office!  Haha.  I like to walk in and feel like "ahhhh....I can breathe.....relax.....sleep" 

So I'm giving it a makeover!  Because nothing I have matches with blue.

Step 1:  Headboard

My bed doesn't have a frame.  Which I actually love!  Nothing gets lost under it....its not so high that my kids need help climbing on it......my kids aren't afraid to sleep on the floor next to it (I like my sleep) .....but the wall above it is very plain :0)  I decided to make a headboard.  My goal here was to spend $0.  Which I did.....but only because I have loads of extra things lying around.  Even if I didn't though - this is a very budget friendly project.  And you don't have to sew!
You will need some picture frames.  These 3 are 16x20 inch frames.  They fit PERFECTLY above a queen sized bed.  My first step was to paint them black.....I didn't take a picture of that though!
 You could just use the back of the frame to wrap your material around, but because of the way mine fit into the front I couldn't do that.  So I cut some scrap cardboard to fit.
 I cut a piece of batting the same size as the cardboard, and a piece of material an inch or two bigger than the cardboard on each side.  I cut up some old white drapes and covered them with some white chiffon to make it look a little nicer.  Place the batting on the cardboard and cover with your fabric.
 Wrap the edges of the fabric around the cardboard (or frame back) and tape it.  I used packing tape.  Put the frames back together and hang them on the wall!
 I attached the bottom of the frames to the wall with mounting tape.  I can sit up against them or knock them in my sleep and they aren't going anywhere!  

The possibilities really are endless.  There are any number of black and white prints I would have loved to put in there.  Pick a fabric you love that matches the decor and you have a beautiful headboard!
Ignore the messy bed.  I haven't gotten to the bedding makeover part yet.  The yellow plaid quilt from grandma wouldn't have done justice - I figured the plain white sheets were better :0)   I still might add something to the headboard to make a design.....black ribbon.....flowers.....I'm not sure.  It depends on whether I love it once the bedding is all finally put together.

On a side note, my room ended up with the 'leftover' lamps....its amazing what a new shade will do.  We went from wicker and bronze to white and damask.  So much better!!  And you'd be amazed how cheaply you can find shades if you look hard/long enough.  Thats really the key to frugal makeovers, I think....patience!

Next Step:  Craft Cabinet and Table
(yes, my bedroom is also my craft room.....one day!......)



Photobucket

1 comment:

Jana and Brett said...

ooo! I love! Now I wish I didn't have a headboard. :0)