Friday, February 10, 2012

Project: Valentine Blocks

I desperately needed a few Valentine decorations.  Like I have said before - I pretty much have nothing but Christmas.  Its a work in progress when you are on a budget!

A few years ago I had gone in on a craft with a bunch of friends to make some name blocks.  I had planned on giving some to family members as well and had tons of blocks cut.  I was only able to finish the sanding while we were together and was going to "finish them at home".  Ha!  Now 3-4 years later there they were still sitting on the shelf in the closet and I have no idea who on earth I was going to give them to!  So this is what a few of them turned into.
 I'm still trying to decide whether I like them simple or want to embellish them a bit more.  (buttons, brads, netting, ribbon, etc).  What do you think?

How did I make them?
Cut different size blocks from a 2x4.  They look cute out of a 4x4 too, but my mantle is a little narrow for that.  Sand them smooth and paint them.
 I didn't paint the side that the paper would be covering.  I used Deep Burgandy and Antique White.  I am hoping to be able to use the "Love" letters for Christmas too, so I left them all red.

Once the paint dries, cut pieces of coordinating scrapbook paper just smaller than the blocks.  If you have the cricut the letters will be a piece of cake.  But if you are like me, print out a cute font, trace and cut with good old fashioned scissors!  I used Mod Podge and stuck the paper and the letters on the front and viola!  I love how that stuff dries.  It always amazes me how it turns from white to clear.  Simple minds.....
I added some subway art printables that I found around the internet in a couple of extra frames and suddenly I feel like my home has some holiday spirit!  Its amazing how little it takes.  And it only cost me about $2 to print the art.  I like that....


Photobucket

No comments: