Thursday, July 26, 2012

Project: Drop Off Station!

 My new..."Drop off Station"
     
I often refer to it as my Mud Room because it's the closest I'm gonna get! :)

Since I am a teacher and the summer is my free time, I really started to panic last week when I realized, I hadn't even started the projects that wanted to get to! So, to assuage my guilt I quickly began work on the area of my house with the biggest need! I love my kitchen, but I do not have a good pantry area, I have had to rely on this shelf to hold the food "I use too much to be in the food storage area, but there isn't enough room in the kitchen because I don't use it that often," if ya know what I mean?

Uhg...here's the before: (I can't believe I am showing people how this looked! In my defense, this is probably the worst it got...)

It just became this awful drop off zone...yikes!

So....I moved the shelving into the Laundry Room, totally reorganized and much better looking!
I then began to paint the whole wall "Stormy Weather," a very beautiful gray-subtle but perfect! You can get the color at Lowes, however I just took the paint chip to my local Ace and they were able to find the color in their data base, so if you like it, I'm betting you could find it without a Lowes nearby.
After painting it gray, I wanted to do horizontal stripes using, "Witch Hazel" white, it has a gray tint so they wouldn't look so stark in contrast. Make sure when measuring from stripes that you put your tape up right, it needs to be on the outsides of the stripes you are painting, the tape should look even for every other stripe!


Found the basket at D.I. painted it "Tropicana Cabana"
Along with the shelf on top!
Wicker might not hold up the best, but for 4 bucks, I felt we could make it work ;)

The four plank table,
I found this on Pintrest, but the pinner didn't pin it to the website. So I googled it and found a couple of suitable designs! Super easy! It is supposed to have another board running across the front at a diagonal, but I wanted to put the basket there, so I removed it.
Spray paint, "Summer Squash."

Hooks from Lowes. I found that they want to charge you up to 2 dollars more per hook if you want different colors. Buy the cheapest and then paint it if needed.
I found the cheapest shelving material as well at ACE...I used the fifth board to my table as the shelf!


and there you have it!


1 comment:

Jana and Brett said...

I LOVE IT!!! SO Cute! I especially love all the splashes of color! Sweet job. :0)