Monday, July 30, 2012

Project: Cheap Backsplash!

REALLY want a tile back splash someday, however the current price for the glass tile I have my eye on is around 12-14 dollars per square foot. I have plenty of things that I could spend just under $500 on and well, I'm a cheapo :)
Chevron stripes!
I know that it is super trendy right now and so as far as long term...not gonna happen!
But for right now, I'm game!
I originally saw this pinned using vinyl for the whole thing. Great idea too! It costs about 5-6 dollars per square foot as well if you went through the Etsy site...
Here's what I did-
I painted the back splash area "Forsythia Blossom"
A great light yellow....I loved it until I turned on the kitchen light and then it held this fluorescent "highlighter-ish" quality I wasn't in love with...
So I did this-

Repainted it darker yellow!
When I took the paint back to be re-tinted the guy told me he had never had someone hate the color, come back and get it darker...
well there is a first for everything :)
I went with "Bumble Bee A13-6"
Above the cupboards I painted "Stormy Weather" a gray, so the yellow really pops.
Then-
I had a wonderful friend make me 2 stencils with her Silhouette...

Used left over "Witch Hazel" from a different project...I used a sponge brush-much easier when using a stencil!
Then-

Commenced to paint.
It was a long process because I only made two stencils and so I had to wait for them to dry in order to put them up for the next round. I took a lot longer than I planned, but I love the result...for now :)

Thanks for checkin in!



No comments: